It is a difficult time for steel producers as they have been struggling to improve their margins and defending their market share. Protectionism is also on the rise as manufacturers, particularly in matured markets in Europe and North America, are facing fierce competition from cheap imports from elsewhere. Antidumping trade cases and Section 232 investigation are some of the latest measures the affected markets have taken to protect their industries. For instance, the USA has more than 190 tariffs, new laws and a federal investigation on imported steel and the EU has 39 antidumping or anti subsidy measures on steel, with 17 against China.
Despite high marginal costs and low capacity utilisation in most markets, millions tonnes of sheet capacities are still coming online every year globally, further worsening the market conditions. The demand-side story is not much different; automotive producers are opting for alternative materials such as aluminium and carbon composites to keep the costs and body-in-white down. Lacklustre mining and construction markets to some extent have also been affecting the yellow goods sales. There are also various trends and developments in energy and infrastructure markets which are having some impact on the sheet market.
Currently, most companies are cutting their costs on market research for various reasons. However, in such weak and fast changing market conditions, it is essential for the steel industry to keep informed about both short and long-term future direction in the market. Our aim is to provide knowledge to our clients and value for their money. Therefore, this report is devised in a unique way, that unlike other reports in the market, it provides both short and long terms analysis under only one subscription. Moreover, it also provides analysis for downstream industries, which our competitors lack.
Why should you buy this report?
This twelve months subscription-based report comprised of two major semi-annual editions and ten monthly market monitoring updates. The two major updates will provide subscribers with detailed market analysis and long term forecasts with extensive coverage of demand, supply, trade, capacity and prices. The ten monthly updates provide a concise summary of the market, including prices and price forecasts.
The semi-annual edition covers the following:
- A full global coverage of hot rolled sheet, cold rolled sheet, metallic coated sheet, organic coated sheet and tinplate.
- The report provides extensive statistics of apparent consumption, production, net trade for all major countries.
- Historical and forecast prices of HRC, CRC and HDG in the key markets such as US, Europe, Asia and CIS and Brazil.
- End-use sectors overview
- A special insight on a key topic in each edition
- Tables and charts
- All supportive data are available in Excel
Why this report is unique and a must read for the flat steel market?
This report is a must-read for understanding the current global steel sheet and its future direction. The report addresses the following key issues:
- How will the sheet market perform in the short to medium term?
- What are the major trends and developments in the major markets and how will they impact the market?
- Will consolidation help to control the escalating costs and eroding prices margins?
- How will sheet prices perform across major regions?
- Will oversupply continue to be an issue in the sheet market?
- How are end users responding to demand and supply dynamics?
- How is protectionism impacting major markets?
Who should buy this report?
- Flat steel producers
- Flat steel service centre, distributors and traders
- Suppliers of raw materials such as iron ore, metallurgical coal, scrap and, ferroalloys
- End users of flat steel such as automotive, construction and packaging
- Suppliers of equipment and machinery
- Financial institutions
- Government bodies