Steel production capacity in China by plant and by equipment (EAF, BOF, crude steel, flats, longs and coated steel)
- China’s installed capacity remains above 1 billion tonnes/year. The overcapacity issue and a potential increase in export volumes can continue to be a risk if China’s economy slows.
- According to Ministry of Industry and Information Technology data, China has removed more than 115 million tonnes/year of crude steel capacity over 2016-2017, taking existing capacity from 1.13 billion tonnes/year in 2015 down to 1.015 billion tonnes/year by the end of 2017.
- The output cuts for environmental protection purposes have been carried out mainly on sintering, coking and ironmaking plants, but EAFs have not been greatly impacted as they are seen as being more environmentally friendly. To utilise more EAF steelmaking capacity is the most efficient way to offset environmental curbs and to replace lost output at blast furnaces and converters.
- China’s pig iron and crude steel capacity have been increasing again since 2017, due in part to companies finding loopholes in replacing capacity. In short, China is only allowed to build new capacity provided it closes the capacity of a similar if not greater amount.
- Hebei announced to slash around 14 million tonnes of steelmaking production capacity each in 2019 and 2020. Steel production grew 50 million tonnes since 2014 and reached 237 million tonnes in 2018, according to the NBS estimates.
Chinese Steel Capacity by plant and by equipment
China ironmaking and steelmaking capacity
- Blast furnace
- Total liquid Steel
China semi-finished (crude steel) steel production capacity
- Total semi-finished steel
China long steel production capacity
- Wire rod
- Merchant bar
- Total long products
China flats steel production capacity
- Hot-rolled Coil
- Cold-rolled Coil
- Total flat products
China coated steel production capacity
- Electro galvanised/Hot-dip galvanised
- Colour Coating
- Total coated products
Why should you consult this product?
- The full coverage of the Chinese steelmaking capacity by plant and by equipment types
- Covering 340 plants
- Detailed capacity segmentation by around 20 equipment by plant
- Information about the future planned capacity
- All data is available in excel and ready for customised analysis
Who should buy this product?
- Steel producers
- Steel service centre, distributors and traders
- Suppliers of raw materials such as iron ore, metallurgical coal, scrap and, ferroalloys
- End users of flat steel such as automotive, construction and packaging
- Suppliers of equipment and machinery
- Financial institutions
- Government bodies
Why our analyses are robust and authoritative?
- We constantly consult key stakeholders in the industry and incorporate their views into our analysis.
- We are completely independent and represent our own views.
|Publication date||May 2018|
|Report format||Excel Dashboard|
|Single user licence||£950 (1 user)|
|Departmental licence||£1,795 (2-5 users)|
For sample pages or to learn more about this report please contact us with your details at: